Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hallelujah!

As my sister will readily attest, I rarely listened to "normal" music as a teenager. I loved listening to Classical music, Broadway shows, and even contemporary band and orchestra pieces. Yeah, I'm sure this doesn't come as a surprise to many, right? :-) I mean, what 15-year-old listens to (and sings along with) Les Miserables the entire way cross country and back?!? Sarah still gives me a hard time about that one. :-)

One of my favorite pieces has always been Handel's Messiah. I have a few different recordings of it, and in my pre-child days, I would listen to them in the car constantly during the holiday season. It is such a powerful piece! Once while in college, I got hired to play 2nd oboe in the Messiah for a few performances. What an experience!

When Jen (a college friend) posted this video of the Hallelujah Chorus on her facebook page, I just knew I had to share it! It's a high school group performing a slightly altered version, but it's "powerful" just the same.





As an elementary school teacher, I am always desperate to find a single student with a developed sense of humor, even on a "slap-stick level." In middle school, I find the students' ideas of humor to be mainly too giddy and silly. Then finally, by tenth grade, it seems that some students (usually boys) develop a more refined sense of humor and the ability to use it correctly and subtly. This is case in point, don't ya think? :-) 'Hope it made you laugh!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Becky! That was funny - thanks for bringing back the memories of being a high school oboe nerd, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely amusing! Hey, does this mean you've succumbed and are on Facebook now? look for me...and email if you can't find me! You will be more difficult to find, I think. Joneses always are. :-)
    --chris f

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fantastic!! I'm thinking high school sunday school class.....fun!
    -Rebekah

    ReplyDelete