Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bungees in An Uproar

Yesterday morning, Ellie was on a roll. As my high school tennis coach, Mr. Lynam, would say, she had her "bungees in an uproar." I'm serious. That's what he would call it. After years of contemplation, I believe that was his way of saying that someone was "bent out of shape," so to speak. The English language is complicated enough without people adding their own personal spins, isn't it?!? I've always loved that one, though! :-) ...does anyone else remember that??? Oh my, how I digress...

Okay. So Ellie was bent out of shape, in a bad mood for no good reason, generally unpleasant. She was whining and whining and whining. I finally interrupted her and said, "Ellie! Just stop and listen to yourself..."

She replied without missing a beat and with the exact same tone of voice and exaggerated cadence that I had used. "Mom! If I stop, I won't be able to hear myself."

Ahhhhh. 'Twas such a pleasant morning here yesterday...

No comments:

Post a Comment