Friday, March 20, 2009

I LOVE Fridays!

Without getting too sappy, I SWEAR it seems like just yesterday that I felt "trapped" at home with a newborn and without any reason to go anywhere! Now, a mere five years later, a LIVE for Fridays which frequently seem to be the ONLY day of the week that we don't have to hurry out of the house in the morning!

Now, don't get me wrong, I KNOW that MUCH more craziness is yet to come in the years ahead. It's just that getting two pre-schoolers out the door in a timely fashion four days a week gets, well...tiring! Since we've been tweaking and perfecting our routine since September, it really is pretty seamless at this point. But that fact still remains, that by Friday morning, I am SO glad that frequently we have nowhere to be by 9:00 a.m. on the dot!

This morning was one of those welcomed leisurely mornings. We played, we colored, we danced, we watched Sesame Street (which is actually a real treat now in our house, since we're never home anymore when it's on!), and we tried on spring and summer clothes.

This last activity can be a struggle or enjoyable depending on the mood of the trier-on-ers. I usually have to give Ben some time to putter around and play and then coral him for a fast burst of 10 articles of clothing all at once. He's pretty easy at this stage, since he can completely and efficiently dress himself. Ellie's another story. I make deals with her, like say..."We need to try on four more shirts, and then you can wear a gown for a while." (In Ellie's World a "gown" is any type of dress.) This is then followed by much wrestling, numerous displays of the motherly Furry Eyeball, and threats of The Deal being revoked. Once Ellie is finally dressed in a gown (of course one that I needed to try on her anyway), she flits off to admire herself in the mirror, and I reorganize piles and track down Ben for Round 2.

Today's session of Wardrobe Purging went pretty well. There were no tears...I don't think. And we got a lot tried on. What a fun sport. ...not necessarily my first choice of how to spend a Friday, but still better than having to race out the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment