Friday, April 17, 2009

Having Kids is Like Tripping...not that I would know!

One of Ellie's current favorite things to do is to list and discuss homophones. Like every other 3 year old, right? :-) It always starts something like this.

"Mommy, there's 'sore' and there's 'soar.' You can have a sore on your body, but fairies can also sore through the air...like in Tinkerbell!" (You should see the looks we get when she starts this in the grocery store...)

Huh...And as I'm typing this, I realize that I must just tune her out after 'soar' and 'sore,' because I can't for the life of me come up with any other examples! But I know for certain that once she gets started, this topic of one-sided conversation goes on for a long while. OH! I know another one that she does - 'bear' and 'bare.'

So today at lunch, she pulls out a new one (or at least, new to me). She begins explaining to her brother and me the different meanings of 'hair' and 'hare.' I stopped to correct her after she explained that a bunny is white or brown or black and a hare is pink or purple.

After we got that all straightened out (I think), Benjamin then launched into an explanation about how he wished he had a hare, because if he did, he would climb on it's back. He would hold on tight while it bounced him super high all the way up to the moon, and then he and the hare could dance on the moon rocks.

I didn't know what to say. It didn't even seem appropriate to use the patented mommy "wide eyes, slight smile, slow nod, and say 'mmmm!'" response. I could only sit and ponder the whole scenario with a blank stare. Where did that come from? Why had NONE of those thoughts EVER crossed my mind at the same time before...much less in the same breath?

This very type of CRAZY day dream, when coupled with general sleep deprivation over an extended period of time, MUST be quite similar to tripping on drugs! Is anyone going to refute me?!?!? And maybe, just maybe, I could blame Ben for my munchies?????

1 comment:

  1. Becky, I love reading your blog. It makes me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete